A Swede who lives in Finland and who is lost in Euroland - the wonderful world of Eurovision
There is always some matter to discuss or just a song I want to share
Very welcome - I hope you'll like it here!

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Austria missed a great opportunity

I followed tonight's Austrian national final with great interest - exciting to see how ORF would handle their big comeback after four years of absence.

I had also heard the songs in advance and knew Austria had one of the stronger bunches to choose from.

Even happier was I when my two personal favourites reached the superfinal together with some token ballad who was only there to even out the numbers. Or so I thought.

When the Austrian televoters had their say, the token ballad had defeated both of my fun, original and notable favourites.



Nadine Beiler - The Secret Is Love (Austria 2011)

Nadine is not a bad choice as such. The girl can sing and she possesses a certain stage presence that could come in handy when facing the european competition.

But the song is so ultra conservative, so un-original, so unremarkable. Not badly written, surely way better than many other token ballads we have heard through the years. But a bland ballad is always a bland ballad.

Given how Austria could have stood out, this was a real disappointment and a missed opportunity. Which, come to think of it, is Austria by the number when it comes to Eurovision.

So, welcome back, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment