A Swede who lives in Finland and who is lost in Euroland - the wonderful world of Eurovision
There is always some matter to discuss or just a song I want to share
Very welcome - I hope you'll like it here!

Monday, February 28, 2011

Back in the USSR

Belarus has presented its representative for the 2011 Eurovision Song Contest. According to ESC Today, they have evaluated a grand total of twenty-nine entries before deciding on Anastasiya Vinnikova.

Belarus has never been a safe haven for good taste or subtle, stylish little numbers, but this entry went far beyond anything I would ever have expected.



Anastasiya Vinnikova - Born In Belorussia (Belarus 2011)

Had it only been for the tacky and dated disco, maybe I could have awarded some consolation points here. But the lyrics?

Hysterically patriotic, glorifying this great nation now and forever, ever adding a somewhat nostalgic and happy reference to the USSR.

Could have been a good laugh, but given the political situation in Belarus I can keep from giggling. Propaganda pop and dictature disco is really not my cup of tea.

1 comment:

  1. Actually, there aren't at their first attempt ... In 2008 they sent Dasha, Alina and Karina in the JESC with the song "Sertse Belarussiy" (The Heart of Belarus). To be honest, although this jesc song was kinda patriotic, I liked it and I think it's because i don't understand Russian !!
    => http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n96wX4WM58U

    "Born in Belorussia" is too much and imo EBU has something to say to the Belorussian team!

    ReplyDelete