A Swede who lives in Finland and who is lost in Euroland - the wonderful world of Eurovision
There is always some matter to discuss or just a song I want to share
Very welcome - I hope you'll like it here!

Monday, April 25, 2011

The 2011 review: part Seven

Halfway through the second semi final, time to have a look at starting positions 11 - 15.

11. FYR MACEDONIA



Vlatko Ilievski - Rusinka (FYR Macedonia 2011)

Another one of these entries that we have a few too many of this year. It is not exactly bad, it is just rather pointless and goes nowhere. When the first minute is through, nothing more of importance happens until it ends. Unexpected that a good composer like Grigor Koprov would put his name on a song this weak.

Vlatko is probably doing the best he can, but I can't help wondering what happened to the edge and wit that FYR Macedonia used to contribute with some years back? Where is Karolina Goceva when we need her?

Qualifyer:
No. Just like the last two years, they will get enough points from their good neighbours to avoid the very bottom of the ranking, but this will not be a heavy scorer.

My grade: 1/5

12. ISRAEL



Dana International - Ding Dong (Israel 2011)

Dana International is very brave to come back after winning Eurovision. Fellow winners Charlotte Perrelli and Niamh Kavanagh could tell her a thing or two about how ungrateful the audience can be when you offer them your company. Also, she could have been in need of a more direct entry, a real smash hit.

Her song this time around is a mature and elegant song, which is rather fitting as Dana herself has transformed from sharp dressed showgirl into a warm and motherly presence. I'm very fond of her and cross my fingers for Europe to warm to her as well.

Qualifyer:
Hopefully. But I fear the song isn't catchy enough and that too many people will be disappointed by the fact that this is not Diva part 2.

My grade: 3/5

13. SLOVENIA



Maja Keuc - No One (Slovenia 2011)

I must admit that my unconditional love for Slovenia has been slightly strained for the last few years. I used to love whatever they sent in, but the opera, string and yodel experiments has made me wonder what we first saw in each other.

Maja is a step in the right direction, but this song is more difficult than anyone would have asked it to be. I thought it would be easier to find a melody line to hold on to once the lyrics were changed into English, now I find myself longing for the Slovenian version instead. Maja works and works, but it doesn't help. This ballad is complicated rather than good.

Qualifyer:
No, unless Maja pulls off the performance of a lifetime and qualifies on the strength of her vocal abilities only.

My grade: 2/5

14. ROMANIA



Hotel FM - Change (Romania 2011)

Given the usual standard of Romanian entries, this entry is a complete let-down. It starts out nicely, but the chorus is as flat as a pancake and the whole thing sounds more like a jingle on children's television than a eurosong.

Then it doesn't help that the lead singer is charming, the whole thing just annoys me. The silly lyrics don't help much either.

Qualifyer:
Yes. Romania has a strange ability of making their stuff work when they need it the most.

My grade: 1/5

15. ESTONIA



Getter Jaani - Rockefeller Street (Estonia 2011)

I have been very keen on most Estonian entries since their debut back in 1994, and I am very happy to see them back in form. Young Getter really shines and delivers this ingenious and clever piece of pop candy in a most convincing way, and I can understand that most eurofans salute this one as one of the best songs of the year.

I don't quite share the sentiment. It is very good, yes. But not one of the best. Somehow there is a little bit too much calculation and too little heart in it for my taste, but all in all this is a very good year for the Ugric.

Qualifyer:
Yes, unless something goes very wrong during rehearsals and the whole thing falls apart in Düsseldorf, just like Iceland's entry in Kyiv 2005. But that seems quite unlikely to happen.

My grade: 4/5

4 comments:

  1. Spot on - as always. Keep faith in Slovenia (we're the new Finland:-))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Complicated? For me, the slovenian song could not have been more direct. Seeing the title "Maja Keuc - Vanilja" was enough for me to love it. And gosh, i was speechless when i heard it. And in english, i love it as much as i did then as now =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous:
    That's good - the Slovenian song will need every enthusiastic fan it can get. For most, it won't click on a first listening and Maja might struggle to get to the final.

    But best of luck to her and her team anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Macedonia's comments, especially regarding Carolina, but you're probably too harsh on Romania's entry, although it matches with Denmark's song and lyrics :) Hogla

    ReplyDelete