A Swede who lives in Finland and who is lost in Euroland - the wonderful world of Eurovision
There is always some matter to discuss or just a song I want to share
Very welcome - I hope you'll like it here!

Friday, April 15, 2011

Songs only I like: Slovakia 2009

Slovakia came back to Eurovision after an absence of eleven years. Maybe they forgot a bit about the ESC during this long time, since the song they offered us was very atypical.



Kamil Mikulčík & Nela Pocisková - Let' tmou (Slovakia 2009)

The person who created the term "dramatic ballad" had no idea just how much drama you can actually squeeze into a mere three minutes. It is a small wonder that not a single vocal chord goes pop during this orgy.

The last forty seconds is the musical equivalent of standing under a waterfall, I believe.

And I love it. I love the passion, the drama and the sheer madness about it. (To be honest, it took a while. The first times I heard it, I wanted to take a painkiller and lie down in a dark room for a couple of hours.)

On the night of the semi final, I even predicted it to make top ten as I thought the juries would appreciate the vocal exercises. They didn't, so Kamil and Nela had to content themselves with eight points and a second last place.

Boo for the juries, I say. What do you say? If you like this one too, please leave a comment.

1 comment: