A Swede who lives in Finland and who is lost in Euroland - the wonderful world of Eurovision
There is always some matter to discuss or just a song I want to share
Very welcome - I hope you'll like it here!

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Tobson Ranking: #3 Finland

So maybe I am a bit partial. Who isn't? But I don't know when was the last time I was this moved by Finland's entry.



Paradise Oskar - Da Da Dam (Finland 2011)

I first met Axel Ehnström a couple of weeks before he sang in the national final in Finland. He had just been selected to take part and was therefore invited to a tv show I was the editor of. He had never sung on tv before, but did a very good job on our show.

He made a big impression on everyone involved and I told him I hoped he'd win, just so I would get to see how he would be able to handle Düsseldorf.

And boy, did he handle Düsseldorf!

The way he handled the press, the fans, the cameras and the director. Like a true professional he steered clear of all those things that are normally the big problems for Finland: how to behave yourself on a stage when the entire world is looking.

I know the song is very divisive - some love it, some hate it - but I'm deeply fond of it. I find it touching and sincere, without becoming too sugary or ingratiating.

The final placing was a big disappointment, but what really matters is that we got ourselves a true talent onto the musical map of Finland.

Finland's best entry in ages and ages. And the same goes for the singer/songwriter.

My grade: 5 / 5

No comments:

Post a Comment