A Swede who lives in Finland and who is lost in Euroland - the wonderful world of Eurovision
There is always some matter to discuss or just a song I want to share
Very welcome - I hope you'll like it here!

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

ESC rejects: Germany 1987

One of my main rules in Eurovision is never to argue with success. If the winner of a national final meets with success at the ESC, then it was the right choice. Regardless if I like it or not.

One of the numerous examples of where this rule feels slightly out of place is the 1987 German final, held at Nürnberg. The winner was a happy but insipid pseudo-reggae by Ralph Siegel that, in all fairness, sounded far more interesting back then than it does now.

For me, the natural choice would have been Bernhard Brink, a long-standing institution in German showbiz, failing over and over again in winning German finals.

Even if he is not quite looking like a pop star, his song is fresh, very 80's and not too obvious. It would have been very interesting to know what the juries would have made of it.



Bernhard Brink - So bin ich ohne dich (Germany NF 1987)

I have another little favourite as well, and that one is actually also penned by Ralph Siegel (like oh-so-many of the songs in German finals back in the day). This one feels nothing like Ralphies usual output, however.

This would not have been out of place in Brussels either, with its wistful and frail verses leading into an not too obvious but engaging chorus. I would never in a million years have guessed this to be a Siegel/Meinunger product.

And in case there is any doubt - that is praise.



Cassy - Aus (Germany NF 1987)

2 comments:

  1. It's all about Rouge and their mildly tuneless tribute to Elaine Paige and Barbara Dickson!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so easy to impress, so I like most of the songs of this final. I almost like them all! But not the winner nor the runner-up...

    ReplyDelete