A Swede who lives in Finland and who is lost in Euroland - the wonderful world of Eurovision
There is always some matter to discuss or just a song I want to share
Very welcome - I hope you'll like it here!

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Song Of The Day: Belgium 1983

Belgium has never been a particularly strong eurovision contender, regardless of language, regardless what part of the country had selected the song.

Wallonia has scored a number of top five placings including a victory, while Flanders never scored better than a sixth place.

When seeing an entry like the 1983 Flemish offering, then you sort of understand why.

It was selected by a panel of experts, and the final verdict enraged the audience to the point that it was almost impossible to run the winner's reprise due to all the booing.

If you think I am going to say it deserved to crash and burn like it did in Munich, then you don't know me too well. I find this brave, experimental, punky and radical. Refreshing, different. Complete with the shortest set of lyrics ever heard at the ESC until then.

In short, a find this to be a brave and interesting little masterpiece with frenetic drums and horns.

I'm just saying I sort of understand how it failed to score much with the juries.



Pas de Deux - Rendez-vous (Belgium 1983)

No comments:

Post a Comment