A Swede who lives in Finland and who is lost in Euroland - the wonderful world of Eurovision
There is always some matter to discuss or just a song I want to share
Very welcome - I hope you'll like it here!

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Preview clip: Yugoslavia 1989

Back in 1989, aged only 13, I might have been the only person alive to see Yugoslavia as a serious contender for victory after seeing the previews. Everyone else claims to have been deeply surprised by Riva taking the crown, but I loved this from the word go.

Especially I loved the cute preview clip, re-telling the story of the English lyrics (while the original lyrics say something completely different). I just loved the happy ending, I loved the movement, the colours and, above all, the sense of fun.

Former Yugoslavia usually made really fun video clips, packed of shiny, happy people who ran around town and did crazy and wonderful things.

I was convinced Yugoslavia was a country where everyone was happy all the time and where fun reigned supreme all day long (and quite a bit into the night as well). Two years later Yugoslavia collapsed into horrific civil war and I realised I am an impressionable fool who knows nothing, and that I should never try to understand the world with the aid of eurovision previews only.

But I still think the clip is really cute.



Riva - Rock Me (Yugoslavia 1989 preview)

No comments:

Post a Comment