A Swede who lives in Finland and who is lost in Euroland - the wonderful world of Eurovision
There is always some matter to discuss or just a song I want to share
Very welcome - I hope you'll like it here!

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The 2012 review, part four

Here they come, the last four songs to complete the line-up for the first of the two semi finals in Baku, complete with my grade as well as my prediction.

15. HUNGARY



Compact Disco - The Sound Of Our Hearts

I have really conflicting emotions about this entry, to be honest. I find Compact Disco a most competent electro pop band with a credible sound and an attractive frontman and would really love to love this. Problem is that the song never takes off quite the way I would have wanted it to.

It sounds a bit like a marriage between Hurts and some of the later a-Ha output, complete with a reasonably strong chorus, but it isn't until the last thirty seconds or so that the song really gains momentum. And that might be too late.

Qualifyer:
Possibly. The first semi final should not be too difficult to crack, and the juries should be able to recognise the quality of their craft. But it could also be the song finding itself in eleventh place, two points short of qualification.

My grade: 3/5

16. AUSTRIA



Trackshittaz - Woki mit deim Popo

Last year, these to tractor-gangsta-rappers aus the Austrian countryside were runners-up in the national final, landing a huge hit with a far better and far wittier song. This one is still catchy and fun-loving, but there are too many awkward details here to turn viewers away.

What should be goofy and entertaining leaves a little bit of a bad taste at least in my mouth. Where the video clip is funny the live performance is just tired and sexist. If they manage to polish the presentation a bit, then the song will get more appreciated by merit.

Qualifyer:
Yes. A mentally out-washed little party stomper might be just what the final needs this year.

My grade: 2/5

17. MOLDOVA



Pasha Parfeny - Lăutar

Straight from one party to another - if Austria offered an after-ski atmosphere, then Moldova wants us to dance along to their happiest band, fronted by the happiest vocalist they could find, complete with an energetic brass section and something that could be confused for a kind of reggae vibe.

For me, Pasha Parfeny is one of the best performers in the contest this year - he loves what he is doing and, unlike Switzerland, he gets away with his dodgy English simply by being so happy and upbeat, apparently not taking himself too seriously. That certainly works for me.

Qualifyer:
Yes. Pasha will be bang in the final, where he belongs. With a bit of luck in the draw, he could even take his country back to top ten for the first time since 2007.

My grade: 4/5

18. IRELAND



Jedward - Waterline

The semifinal ends with a three-minute lesson in how not to conduct your eurovision comeback. This contest is a treacherous beast that could easily take away the fame it brought you and rip you to shreds and leave your career in bits. Jedward's second entry makes me think of poor Thomas Forstner who had done everything right and then came back to have his reputation crushed.

That is not exactly what will happen to Jedward, given their following and what a phenomenon they have grown into, but coming back so soon with an act as similar as you first one as well as a considerably weaker song is not a good idea. I still adore these two obnoxious madhats, but they are not fantastic singers and this new song requires more singing and less bouncing.

Qualifyer:
Yes. But I doubt the juries will back these two up in the final this year. I would not bet my money on a top ten finish.

My grade: 1/5 

2 comments:

  1. Double autotune prize (thus a twice as horrific autotune experience) for the boys from Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Tobias! At first I also had a problem with the Hungarian entry. They usually have a very strong entry. This time the music sounded OK radio music but nothing more. Having listened to it several times I've grown to like it almost too much! It's solid music, it's growing stronger and at the rehearsals the vocalist did it extremely well! The whole band seems to be quite professional and that's what I like in the ESC, no matter what type of music.
    Enjoy Sunny days (inside) in Azerbaidjan:)

    ReplyDelete