A Swede who lives in Finland and who is lost in Euroland - the wonderful world of Eurovision
There is always some matter to discuss or just a song I want to share
Very welcome - I hope you'll like it here!

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Tobson's Ranking: #28 Austria

Catchy, fun and wacko or just plain silly and sexist? Well, the televoters showed quite clearly what they thought...



Trackshittaz - Woki mit deim Popo (Austria 2012)

This is by all means rather sexist in a way that leaves a bit of a bad taste in your mouth. It is 2012 after all and Austria is probably supposed to have come a bit further than this when it comes to equality. I never thought I would defend an entry like this, but...

I think the Trackshittaz are quite sweet and I have interpreted their whole act as mocking a certain section of Austrian society rather than celebrating it. I could be wrong, but that is how I thought of them. I also find the chorus catchy enough and as for the performance we have clearly seen worse at Eurovision.

Austria's last place in the semi final came as a bit surprising to me, but if Europe really is rejecting sexism in entertainment that is a good thing.

But perhaps it came more down to the fact that Austria had really bad luck in the live show. The camera work is considerably shakier than in any of their rehearsals and their special effects dress trick suddenly didn't work at all.

Austria has tried humour in so many ways for the last ten years. Maybe they should opt for a solid pop act next year instead?

My grade: 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment