A Swede who lives in Finland and who is lost in Euroland - the wonderful world of Eurovision
There is always some matter to discuss or just a song I want to share
Very welcome - I hope you'll like it here!

Friday, March 29, 2013

Semi 1: 02 Estonia

Forget the curse of being number two - since the semi finals were split into two, the second song qualifies more often than it fails. The starting position will not be the biggest problem for Estonia this year.



Birgit Õigemeel - Et uus saaks alguse (Estonia 2013)

Estonia as well as Austria should rather fear getting eclipsed by the songs that come later on in the show. While Austria might see Serbia and Ireland eat a great deal of their points, Estonia faces stiff competition for the ballad points when Russia, Ukraine and Moldova roll in the artillery.

Estonia has a few strong selling points, though. Their ballad could be described as old-fashioned, but it is also clean-cut and elegant, not afraid to rely on its own musical capacities.

It also has Birgit Õigemeel and her strong presence and warm radiation. And the lyrics in Estonian sound most attractive, like a soft whisper in your ear.

An entry to grow very fond of if you let it come close enough.

Qualifier:
Yes, I really hope the audience will recognise all the qualities here. I'm far from sure I'm right but I hope I am. But there is also a risk that Birgit will be the Pernilla Karlsson of the year and narrowly miss out.

My grade: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment