A Swede who lives in Finland and who is lost in Euroland - the wonderful world of Eurovision
There is always some matter to discuss or just a song I want to share
Very welcome - I hope you'll like it here!

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Semi 1: 05 Denmark

If bookmakers and eurovision fans were always right, we could save ourselves some time, money and effort by cancelling this year's final and just deem Denmark the winner already now. But they're not always right, are they?



Emmelie de Forrest - Only Teardrops (Denmark 2013)

Ever since her 1995 classic "Fra Mols til Skagen", I have been a  big fan of Lise Cabble and her songwriting. She provided plenty of quirky and jaunty pop numbers for the Danish finals through the years and I admit to being a bit disappointed when she finally won again in 2011. A Friend In London were fine but not my cup of tea. And Lise Cabble had surely written better songs than that.

This year's entry is stronger, a lot stronger. Emmelie is a good performer with a personable voice and the stage element with the tin whistle stays in your mind.

Yet, I can't shake the feeling that this is a typical fan favourite song that flirts with the good old days of Eurovision. It is good, but it is the song that will crush all competition and get a runaway victory like Rybak or Loreen?

It doesn't feel like a winner, somehow. Maybe it will come Saturday night, but at this stage I don't think this is the one.Especially I don't think this eurosong-by-the-numbers would have a successful life outside the ESC, which I think a perfect winner should.

Qualifier:
Yes, without the shadow of a doubt.

My grade: 4/5

3 comments:

  1. I can´t help to think of "What shall we do with the drunken sailor" when I hear the chorus :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm confused because people go crazy about this song. I feel nothing when listening to it. I don't like Emmelie's voice and I'm really annoyed at the tin whistle and its monotonous tune. (Usually I love Irish folk music.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's an obvious winner but I personally do not like it. While her voice is good and all the song and singing are unpolished and sound very amateur, something you'd expect to see at talent shows

    ReplyDelete