A Swede who lives in Finland and who is lost in Euroland - the wonderful world of Eurovision
There is always some matter to discuss or just a song I want to share
Very welcome - I hope you'll like it here!

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Semi 2: 05 Finland

Usually it is very hard to rate the entry of your own country, but this year I feel sure. Finland had very good luck when SVT sequenced the running order.



Krista Siegfrids - Marry Me (Finland 2013)

Never before has Finland entered anything like this. Krista will storm to the stage with dancers, a wind machine and - rumour has it - at least one wardrobe effect to come. And she has a very infectious chorus as well.

Simple but very catchy, everyone can sing along to the "oh-oh-ding-dong"-hook and Krista has confidence aplenty. Confidence usually works well in this contest.

Then there has been a fair amount of objections to the lyrics and I do agree that Krista could have made life a lot easier for herself by singing something else. On the other hand, I can't see how anyone can take these lyrics seriously and literally. And Miss Performer herself could not care less what anyone thinks.

Qualifier:
Yes. Temper and attitude will pay off at this point in the show, the tempo will wake the people up and the audience will not be forgetting Miss Siegfrids anytime soon.

My grade: 4/5

2 comments:

  1. I love to agree with you at this occasion. Marry me is far from a masterpiece when the melody and the lyrics are concerned, but put these together with infectious beat and Krista Siegfrids energy and self confidence, you have a package that is hard to resist. I start smiling every time I hear it although it is not my usual cup of tea.

    To me the lyris are more likely a parody or a satire of the traditional bride dying to get married at any price. When you see the performance of Miss Siegfrids and the music video you must understand that the lyrics are not to be taken as they are written.

    I only hope that the members of team Ding Dong keep themselves cool and will not overdo the Malmö performance à la Cat Cat (1994), Laura Voutilainen (2002) or Anggun (2012) and mess up the whole thing. But somehow I have a feeling that the they know what they are doing (they've done so far) and keep the performance to the basics. The UMK version was perfect, so don't fix what is not broken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this aggressive video is harming the original cheerful and girlish attitude of Krista´s. Sorry! The bouncing pink dream she was in the Finnish finals was much better than the angry looks in black leather in this video. Did the angry feminist attacks on Krista after her Finnish victory destroy that girlish tongue-in-cheek parody that gave her the victory? Krista, don´t let the angry feminists destroy all the fun! :)

    ReplyDelete