A Swede who lives in Finland and who is lost in Euroland - the wonderful world of Eurovision
There is always some matter to discuss or just a song I want to share
Very welcome - I hope you'll like it here!

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Semi 2: 10 Israel

A strong and heartfelt ballad could be the recipe for success at Eurovision. Israel pulled it off in the past, and they would surely like some revenge after missing the final two years in a row.



Moran Mazor - Rak bishvilo (Israel 2013)

A big ballad in Hebrew is not a bad idea. It led to Israel's best showing in the last ten years, with the lovely Shiri Maimon in Kyiv in 2005. Israel has managed to hammer out good ballads in the past and Hebrew is a lovely language to sing in.

Moran Mazor is also an intriguing performer. She has a good voice, an interesting look and a strong presence. I'd love to hear more from her.

And yet her song never really takes off. It does grow, it has a little bit of a vocal happening, but it never really erupts into any kind of climax. Every time I hear it, I wish for all the pieces to fall into place and every time I find myself disappointed.

Qualifier:
Perhaps. The question is how many ballads or midtempo entries will make it into the final. Israel could find themselves on the right side of qualification. Or they could equally well see themselves beaten by Iceland.

My grade: 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment