A Swede who lives in Finland and who is lost in Euroland - the wonderful world of Eurovision
There is always some matter to discuss or just a song I want to share
Very welcome - I hope you'll like it here!

Monday, March 31, 2014

Semi 1: 07 Russia


I will be frank and honest with you: I was really biased against this song already before I heard it and didn't want to like it. Even so, I was surprised by how little of a song these sisters have to work with.



Tomalchevy Sisters - Shine (Russia 2014)

I am not even going to waste too many words on this, but here goes. I am in no way hostile towards Russians, Russian culture or Russia as a country but after recent events I am not particularly keen on seeing Russia doing well. An ESC hosted by Russia under the current circumstances is not what I dream of.

They are surely aware that quite a few people share my sentiments, so I had expected them to enter a killer entry, something bound to fight for first place. Instead we are having quite a lean little midtempo song, performed without any greater amount of charisma or personality.

As for the lyrics, asking us to show the world some love? Sure thing, Russia. You first.

Qualifier: Yes, but only because Russia always qualifies. Wouldn't mind a great deal if I was wrong here.

My grade: 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment