A Swede who lives in Finland and who is lost in Euroland - the wonderful world of Eurovision
There is always some matter to discuss or just a song I want to share
Very welcome - I hope you'll like it here!

Monday, April 27, 2015

Semi 2: 11 Azerbaijan

Azerbaijan keep doing what they do best: get foreign talent - songwriters, choreographers, backing vocalists, stylists - to fashion an entry for some local performer to wear on the catwalk that is the eurovision stage.

Despite their disappointing showing in Copenhagen, they seem keen on continuing to get more sophisticated and slightly more demanding songs. Something I must applaud them for doing. Not playing safe is a trait I appreciate.

Just like the 1968 French entry, it seems to draw inspiration from a film by Ingmar Bergman - perhaps not too surprising given that the main songwriters are from Sweden. "The Hour of the Wolf" - Bergman's only real horror movie - tells the story of an artist haunted by nightmares before finally crossing the line and falling into madness.

Both the lyrics and the clip seems to have borrowed tiny elements from the film and I can't decide whether it's clever or pretentious. More clever, I think. I sort of like it.

I sort of like the song too. It's introverted yet acting out at the same time, but in the end I find myself overwhelmed by it. The chorus gets very noisy. Suddenly it just sits down on your lap and shouts into your face. I would have toned it down a notch.

Qualifier:
Yes, unless Elnur goes bananas and wails the song to bits. (A duet between him and Ruth Lorenzo would be real scary.)

My grade: 3/5



Elnur Huseynov - Hour of the Wolf (Azerbaijan 2015)

1 comment:

  1. Much like you, there is something about this song that make same feel it's copying something but I can't put my finger on it. At least he'll be nice to look at...

    ReplyDelete