A Swede who lives in Finland and who is lost in Euroland - the wonderful world of Eurovision
There is always some matter to discuss or just a song I want to share
Very welcome - I hope you'll like it here!

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Finalist: Austria

Ever since I started watching other countries national finals regularly in the late 1990's, I have longed for Austria to win and for ORF to finally get to host the event.

Add to that my fondness for Austrian entries through the years - I often enjoyed many of those odd numbers that were consistently ignored by juries and televoters alike. I also believe it is good when generally unsuccessful countries get to win. (Come on, Portugal!)

The best thing - besides Conchita's tremendous breakthrough of course - is that the Austrian national final seems to have been injected with some new life force and vitality. There were several entries there that could have represented Austria gracefully on home ground.

The winner wasn't even my favourite, but singled out like this it feels like a solid and well performed little soul ballad. Clean-cut and enjoyable, encumbered only by the fact that there are already a million songs in the world that sound exactly like this.

It will prove to be an oasis for the viewers who like soul, though. And given by the abundance of this type of music on the radio, they could be quite a few.

A potential winner?
Most probably not. A solid song with a solid performance but hardly exciting enough to capture enough attention to win. But if it gets surrounded by the right kind of songs, it could at least have a shot at making the top ten.

My grade: 3/5



The Makemakes - I Am Yours (Austria 2015)

No comments:

Post a Comment