A Swede who lives in Finland and who is lost in Euroland - the wonderful world of Eurovision
There is always some matter to discuss or just a song I want to share
Very welcome - I hope you'll like it here!

Sunday, April 17, 2016

Semi 1: 18 Malta / Walk On Water



Ira Losco did what pretty much everyone expected her to do as she threw out her national final winner "Chameleon" and replaced it with another song. She recorded an impressive number of demos and had a panel decide which one they liked best. The panel's overwhelming favourite was the Swedish-penned "Walk On Water", originally written for and by Molly Pettersson Hammar.

I have no idea what the panel heard that I don't hear. For me the new song is more than decent but in no way sensational. Another piece of mainstream pop of the kind that really is this year's big thing.

I'm almost sorry I knew it was written for Molly PH as I almost hear her voice and how the writing is done to suit her vocal technique, not Ira's. It's like Ira is making a cover version instead of turning it into anything of her own.

I keep wondering why this one got to close the semi final. Does SVT know something about a fantastic stage show or did they just want to give a friendly pat on the head to a songwriting team they wish to encourage for the future?

Qualifier:
Yes, so I guess. Closing the semi should do the trick, but after Croatia-Armenia-Azerbaijan-Czech republic-Moldova there is nothing extraordinary or original about this one.

My grade: 2/5



Ira Losco / Walk On Water (Malta 2016 preview clip)

2 comments:

  1. "Everything and a kithchen sink" applies very well to this mishmash and to many other entries this year. Often less would be more, and without a good song all the embellishments are futile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "or did they just want to give a friendly pat on the head to a songwriting team they wish to encourage for the future?"

    Hilarious!

    PS great reviews so far Tobson, really looking forward to the semi 2 reviews.

    ReplyDelete